Saturday, September 22, 2012

Number crunching

I have 1,025 short story sales, a number which surprised me when I totaled them today because I had not realized I'd passed the 1,000-sale mark.

The total does not represent 1,025 different short stories. Buried in the total, and too difficult for me to calculate based on the way I keep my records, are several reprint sales.

The total also does not represent 1,025 short story publications. Some of the stories are awaiting publication later this year and next, and a few were sales to magazines that ceased publication prior to publishing my story.

Even so, that's a hell of a lot of short stories.

3 comments:

Graham Powell said...

That's almost exactly 52 sales per year for 20 years. Not too shabby!

Stephen D. Rogers said...

Hey Michael,

Sorry you missed passing the 1000 mark. Maybe when you hit the 10,000 mark.

Stephen

Michael Bracken said...

You're right, Graham, not to shabby for 20 years. But I've been writing short stories professionally for almost 40 years!

And, Stephen, if I live long enough to reach the 10,000-sale mark, I'll let you buy me a drink.