Monday, April 01, 2013

Ten-year anniversary

Ten years ago today I became a full-time freelance writer/editor. The irony of the date is not lost on me because it was quite the fool's journey I began back then.

My employer and I had parted company, but within a week one of my former clients hired me to do freelance editing for his publication. The income from this client, who is still a client today, provided the foundation upon which I built my freelance career. For the next few years I juggled a variety of one-off and short-term freelance projects until I ultimately settled into my current routine with my current clients.

During the past ten years I graduated college, divorced, survived quadruple heart bypass surgery, and dealt with all the everyday issues we all deal with. I've written things I never thought I would write, received awards I never expected to receive, and managed to pay all of my bills on time doing what I love most of all.

My dreams came true.

I write. I edit. I love my life.

Here's hoping the next ten years bring at least as much success and happiness as the past ten years.

No comments: