Thursday, January 03, 2008

The fortune in my cookie

I ate Chinese food for dinner and the fortune in my cookie told me that "Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness."

I found the fortune apt because I just completed my fourth calendar year as a full-time freelance writer/editor and in a few months--April 1, actually--I will complete my fifth year as a full-time freelancer.

Nearly five years spent doing what I like and liking what I do isn't a bad run. That's 10 percent of my life (or about 16 percent of my adult life), a stretch of time that few people I know can claim to have spent doing what they like and liking what they do.

Now if I can ever get my personal life in the same condition as my professional life, I'll be swimming in gravy.

2 comments:

Jim Winter said...

So tell me, do you work more or less than when you had a day job?

Michael Bracken said...

I probably work about the same amount of time. When I had a full-time job I was also freelancing part-time. I gave my employer(s) 40+ hours each week and then wrote and did other freelance work in the evenings and on weekends. Now, it's all freelance work.