Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thirty-five

I completed my 35th short story of the year this evening, a 4,500-word St. Patrick's Day confession I started writing October 14. The final draft is printing now and it'll go in the mail tomorrow.

It's been almost three months since I completed a new short story, an anomaly not indicative of how much writing I've actually been doing. I didn't write much fiction in September--the month began with a family issue to address followed by a week of illness, and a load of other writing and editing filled up the last half of the month. But I returned to the keyboard in October and have been putzing around with various stories, adding bits to this story and that, outlining some new stories, and generating a variety of story ideas that I hope to get to soon. But generating ideas, outlining stories, and writing beginnings and middles don't create finished manuscripts. Only writing complete manuscripts accomplishes that goal.

3 comments:

Kevin R. Tipple said...

I have been invited to submit something to a crime anthology that would come out the spring 2012 so I am working on an idea and and have a couple of pages started. They may or may not survive.

I am have been asked to come up with something dark, twisted, and funny.

That I can do.

Whether the editor will take it is the bigger question.

Michael Bracken said...

It's always nice to be invited, isn't it?

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Very much so! This is mt second invite in as many years.

I did submit on my first invite, was accepted, and the book was supposed to be out last month. It got delayed and seems to be lost in delay land.

So, I hope this turns out better.