Saturday, November 03, 2007

I write like a girl

Fellow confession writer Roberta Beach Jacobson posted a link to The Gender Genie (http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php), a program that will examine a piece of writing and determine if it had a male or a female author.

For fun, I tested three confessions and the program thought they were written by a female. That's good, I thought, because they're supposed to be!

Then I tested two hardboiled pieces of crime fiction--violent, sexual, as masculine as I get. The program thought they were also written by a female.

Maybe my crime fiction isn't as hardboiled as I thought it was. Maybe I should become a florist...

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I entered a few. If I was writing in the first person from the male POV (which I do a lot for some reason), it said male. Otherwise, female.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

I entered a blog post. I blog like a guy!! When I get a few minutes I'll have to enter a few paragraphs from some current projects.

Thanks Michael. This is fun.

Terrie

Terrie Farley Moran said...

FYI,

In order to steal the gender genie as a blog topic, I felt compelled to link back here.

Terrie

Michael Bracken said...

Off-blog, another writer suggested that I was "in touch with my feminine side."

If I keep touching me there, I'm going to have to slap myself...