Sunday, January 02, 2011

One

It's a new year so all my counts start over. This evening I finished writing my first short story of the year, a 2,100-word bit of noir crime fiction.

I wrote the first paragraph on August 30 and it sat on my computer until yesterday morning. When I reread what I had written, I saw how changing a couple of words would lead the story in a direction I wanted to go. I could then envision the first two-thirds of the story and I knew the type of ending I wanted.

As I drafted the first part of the story I bounced random questions off of Plot Monkey and asked fellow SMFSers two questions about guns. The answers from Plot Monkey helped me formulate the ending and the answers I received from my fellow SMFSers confirmed that the role a gun played in the end was plausible.

But, much like the last story I wrote in 2010, I wrote this story without a specific market in mind and now it sits atop my to-be-submitted pile.

No comments: