Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What I want

Publishing is changing. We all know that. While we have the option of self-publishing everything we write, some of us still deal with gatekeepers. In my case, the gatekeepers are primarily anthology and magazine editors. Unfortunately, I deal with an increasing number of editors who lack the professionalism that previous generations of editors taught me to expect.

So here's what I want from editors:

1. Respond to my submissions promptly, especially if you asked me to contribute to your project.

2. Notify me when you accept or reject my submission. If you can't use the story I sent you, maybe someone else can.

3. Edit carefully and let me see review your work. I'm easy to work with and most of the time you catch errors and make good suggestions. I appreciate that.

4. Send me galley or page proofs to read prior to publication. I will proofread and return them promptly, correcting errors and only rarely suggesting or requesting a change.

5. Pay me promptly. This is how I feed myself. Let me choose when I start my next diet.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm nowhere near as prolific as you and have not had the same level of success at anywhere close, but I see the same issues.

Things have changed and not for the better.