Monday, March 16, 2015

One of six

Glynis Scrivens asked six writers which writing how-to books they thought most influenced their short story writing, and she included their responses in "The Best Books for short stories," published in Writers' Forum #162.

I discussed How to Write and Sell Confessions by Susan C. Feldhake and Confession Writers' Handbook by Florence K. Palmer and Marguerite McClain. Without the jumpstart these two books gave me, I might never have become a confession writer.

3 comments:

Bobbi A. Chukran, Author said...

Michael, do you still think these books are up-to-date enough for the current market, or outdated?

BTW, I enjoyed your community garden story in the current True Confessions magazine.

Michael Bracken said...

Thanks for the kind comments about my story, Bobbi.

I think both books are beneficial, even today, but some information should be taken with a grain of salt. The basic story structure and writing style of confessions has remained relatively constant, but information on submission practices--manuscripts sent in manilla envelopes!--is clearly outdated.

Bobbi A. Chukran, Author said...

Yeah, that makes sense about the submission practices. Envelopes--what are those? LOL!
Will try to find the books. I did buy one by Peggy Fielding that was helpful to me, although most of my "confessions" stories are still sitting on my hard drive.