Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Losing Ground

I sold another short story today, and I realized when I pulled out the file that I'm losing ground. I'm selling short stories faster than I'm writing new ones.

This happens occasionally. The planets align in some odd fashion, or all the other short story writers stop submitting for a few months, or some other fantastically and completely unpredictable event happens and suddenly my stories are selling faster than gasoline at 10-cents/gallon.

Part of me is overjoyed; the rest of me is trying to kick myself in the ass. I need to get my act in gear and finish more manuscripts. After all, you can't sell 'em if you haven't got 'em.

2 comments:

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Those of us who aren't currently selling anything would love to be plagued with such troubles!

--Patrick

Michael Bracken said...

Times like these confirm the idea that one should keep writing even when one isn't selling. Sooner or later, the sales pick up and it feels good to have finished--or nearly finished--manuscripts ready to send to editors who are in the mood to buy.