Saturday, April 25, 2009

I'm a slacker

A friend of mine--a prolific, multi-genre short story writer like me (who I'm not naming because I didn't ask permission to quote him)--wrote in an e-mail yesterday, "I’ve been cranking out the words like never before (hoping to hit 27,000 this month, more than double what I used to average)."

My first thought was, "Holy crap!"

That's double my monthly average.

Then I realized that's less than 1,000 words/day. At my speed that's only twenty minutes of typing, leaving seven hours and forty minutes to think up what to type.

And I realized why I'm not as productive as I want to be: I think too much. I'm spending seven hours and fifty minutes a day thinking and only ten minutes a day typing.

Starting tomorrow, I'll cut ten minutes off my thinking time and add it to my typing time.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

Say it ain't so, Joe.

Must have blundered into a horror writing blog. Not sure I can deal with the concept that there's a writer more prolific than Michael ... at least not before my first cup of coffee on a Monday morning!

Michael Bracken said...

It scares me, too.