Monday, September 15, 2008

Quadruple bypass

I entered the hospital on September 9 expecting an angioplasty and, perhaps, insertion of as many as two stents.

The best-laid plans went to hell immediately. Two of my arteries were 100% blocked and my body had, over the previous 10+ years, rerouted my blood flow to accommodate the blockage. Angioplasty was immediately halted and I was scheduled for bypass surgery on September 10. Quadruple bypass.

I was released from the hospital earlier today and am at my son's home. It may be only a few days or it may be as much as a week before I return to my own home.

The doctors and nurses all tell me how lucky I am. Apparently, what I had could have killed me at any time during the past few years and the fact that it didn't--combined with leading the life of a non-smoker--means this surgery could add 30+ years to my life.

At the moment I don't feel lucky. At the moment I feel like I've been run over by a bus.

But I am lucky in many ways. During the past week, family, friends, colleagues, and clients have provided emotional, physical, and financial support far beyond anything I ever expected.

And that lets me know how lucky I truly am.

Thank you.


Anonymous said...

Michael -
THANKS for taking the time and effort to let us know how you're doing!
Was worried that no news meant something more serious than what you anticipated.
Please try to concentrate on doing what you have to in terms of cardiac rehab, etc.
The people I know who've been through bypass surgery swear that's the key to getting the best possible result.
Please take care and remember how many people care about you!
Susanne Shaphren (who can't remember the correct password so is playing Anonymous!)

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Very glad to hear from you. While I am not glad you had to go this way, I am glad they caught it now and were able to deal with it.

Can I come down and we can talk lottery ticket numbers? Very lucky man!


pattinase (abbott) said...

Am very glad to hear your voice.

Jack Hardway said...

I haven't had the privilege of your acquaintance beyond the list, but we now belong to the same band of brothers in at least one sense. It's a long haul, but you will feel better, and when you're healed you'll actually be in better shape than you were before. In the meantime, take care of yourself, the parts about not lifting anything over 10 pounds and using the pillow when you cough being two seriously useful pieces of advice.

Robert S. Levinson said...


Great news!


Stephen D. Rogers said...

Hey Michael,

It's the happy ending that matters.


sandra seamans said...


So glad to hear that all's well with you. Though we are strangers in real life, you've been a great teacher here in the box on my desk and I'm overjoyed to learn that you'll be around for a very long time. Take care.

You've been and are in my prayers,

Debby Mayne said...

Hey, Michael! I'm glad your condition was caught and fixed. Feel better soon and know that you have friends praying for you.

Becky said...

Michael: I wondered why I hadn't heard anything from you lately. Obviously I won't be seeing you in Baltimore in a couple of weeks. Prayers go up for you, my friend. God keep you safe and well, and thank heaven you were in the hospital when they found the trouble!

I'm sorry I haven't emailed before now, but have been a little out of the loop lately meself. Not health; just work.